RBCM Archives

British Columbia. Dept. of Lands

Identity area

Type of entity

Government

Authorized form of name

British Columbia. Dept. of Lands

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Dept. of Lands

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1908-1945

History

The Dept. of Lands was established in 1908 (Department of Lands Act, SBC 1908, c. 31). Before 1908 the agencies responsible for the functions of the Dept. of Lands: (1) the Dept. of Lands and Works (Crown lands management, sales, pre-emptions and leases, lands surveying and mapping, timber inspection, forest protection and log scaling), and (2) the Dept. of Mines (water rights in regards to mining operations). The Dept. of Lands, headed by the Chief Commissioner of Lands, was given responsibility for public lands and water rights, and all matters connected therewith. (SBC 1908, c. 31, s. 5). These responsibilities included: (1) the management of all public lands, as per the Land Act, (RSBC 1897, c. 113); (2) administration of water rights, as per the Water Clauses Consolidation Act, (RSBC 1897, c. 191) [in 1892 by means of the Water Privileges Act (SBC 1892, c. 47), the government had reserved to itself the right to manage all water resources in the province that were unreserved and un-appropriated as of April 23, 1892]; and (3) land settlement programs for returned soldiers. In 1909, the enactment of the Water Act (SBC 1909, c. 48) resulted in the creation of the Water Rights Branch of the Dept. of Lands, under the management of the Chief Water Commissioner (re-named Comptroller of Water Rights in 1912). This legislation also resulted in the creation of Water Districts under the management of District Engineers, who would be responsible for management in the field of the Branch’s responsibilities. In 1911, the Timber Department, including Timber Inspectors, forest protection services and log scaling operations, was transferred from the Dept. of Public Works to the Dept. of Lands. In 1912, the management of timber resources was formally added to the department’s responsibilities with the enactment of the Forest Act (SBC 1912, c. 17). To accommodate these new responsibilities, the Forest Branch, under the Chief Forester, was created in the Dept. of Lands. In 1945, the Dept. of Lands was renamed the Dept. of Lands and Forests (Department of Lands Act Amendment Act, SBC 1945, c. 45).

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

A Government Name

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

British Columbia. Water Rights Branch (1912-1979)

Identifier of the related entity

3762

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

1912-1945

Description of relationship

Related entity

British Columbia. Dept. of Lands and Works (1871-1908)

Identifier of the related entity

131

Category of the relationship

temporal

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

British Columbia. Dept. of Lands and Forests (1945-1962)

Identifier of the related entity

17

Category of the relationship

temporal

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Control area

Description identifier

16

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF)

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Michael Carter 2008-07-28|KHUGHES 2014-02-11

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Central Name Authority File

Maintenance notes

Created by: Michael Carter